Daytime TV to me means Sesame Street and Super Why and most days Tangled. But last week I made sure to watch the Oprah show. I haven't watched the Oprah show on a regular basis since high school. But when I did I loved it. I loved the guests she had on and the interviews with them, the fun side of the show, but I loved the episodes that touched on deeper things. Oprah has a way about her that I cannot describe, but she always seems to say the right thing.By some miracle all three kids were upstairs for the entire 4:00 hour last Wednesday. I was able to watch the farewell episode in its entirety and in quiet. And I was moved to tears. Seriously, I felt like I was at a Women's Conference or the Relief Society Broadcast. She spoke powerful words that touched my heart. Oprah often talks about "Aha moments." Even though what she said may not have been new, it was a message that I needed reminding of. "Do you see me? Do you hear me? Does anything I say matter to you?" She said that everyone has a need to be seen and heard, to know that what they are saying matters. Validate them! Let others know we see them, we hear them, and they do matter! I think it is easy to forget to do this, especially with children. In my case, my children talk all the time and so sometimes I tend to tune them out. I need to sit with them and really listen to what they are saying.
Oprah in all her wisdom also said, "You are responsible for your own life." Simple but powerful. If I want something to change then I am the only one who can make it change. I've got to take control and make it happen.
"What are the whispers in your life and will you listen to them?"
"Be a safe harbor for somebody. Make them feel they matter."
Thank you Oprah for making a difference in my life and the lives of people worldwide! You went out with a bang! And you will be missed!
5 comments:
LOVED that episode too! I watched the whole thing with tears in my eyes! She has wisdom, knowledge and love to share with this world... I am sad to see her go. Thanks for putting up those quotes! I was too busy crying to remember them.. and they hit me hard too!!
It really was an awesome show! She's got an amazing way of putting things into words. So insightful! I'll miss her!!!
while I do nt watch Oprah, I do love the quotes!
I just got all caught up on your blog today! How exciting about the business! Congratulations to the both of you. What an accomplishment! I really need to get down there and come for a visit!
What? I don't watch Oprah.
Ha! Loved it too. She is true to the light of Christ that lady isn't she? (except for her views on Marriage) I loved the Australian trip. Started watching a lot then. Remember when we watched Nie nie on oprah and cried like babies? lol!
Post a Comment