Saturday, May 19, 2012

Love and Acceptance

www.girlydohairstyles.com/2011/08/ideas-for-short-hair-1.html

 I live in a house with a 7 year old girl and an almost 6 year old girl.  These are impressionable times.  They are starting to take an interest in things like fashion and have more of an opinion about hairstyles and accessories.  I love it.  It has been so much fun to see what their preferences are.  But lately I've noticed that they are watching me as well.  They comment on my hair and my clothes.  I have always been insecure about my looks and so I tend to seek validation from others that I look alright.  My girls have done that a time or two lately.  I don't want them to take after me in that way.  I want them to know and believe that they are beautiful.  So I am working hard to be a better example, trying not to worry so much that every hair is in place, because really it doesn't matter. 

I have been growing my hair out over the past 2 years and it is finally past my shoulders.  I had been looking forward to all the fun things I could do with it once it was long enough.  And now it is, but I have been holding back because I am self conscious about how I look with my hair pulled all the way back.  But lately I have decided that this is silly.  I waited too long for something this trivial to keep me from doing what I want.  I have decided to accept the way I look with my hair pulled back and find something to love about myself when it is.  I have this little freckle on the top of my right ear and I love being able to see it.  I also find that I enjoy wearing earrings more because they can be seen instead of hidden behind a curtain of hair.    

I have been trying to be a good example to my girls in other ways as well, helping them love the things that they can't change and do something about the things they can.  We've been exercising (they laugh at my crazy videos and join along), eating more fruits and veggies, cooking.  I hope that the changes that I am making for myself will also positively affect my children, not just my girls but Porter as well.  

Here are just a few of the hairstyles I have been trying out on myself and some on the girls too.  I am loving being more creative and so are the girls.  At first I was intimated because they looked too hard.  But I have watched a lot of tutorial videos and I am learning that it's ok if I don't get it perfect.  Brinnley, queen of the half-up ponytail, has even let me try new things on her.  She gets excited to look in the mirror after I am done.  I love that we can share this together!
 www.thesmallthingsblog.com/p/hair-styles-tutorials.html
 saralynnpaige.com/style/simple-gibson-tuck/
 www.flickr.com/photos/luxyhair/4770055015/
 www.dearemmie.com/?p=128/
 slhairstyles.com/12/the-return-of-formal-hairstyles-in-the-workplace.html
www.girlydohairstyles.com/2011/08/ideas-for-short-hair-2.html

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love that you're exploring. I always grow my hair out hoping to do something cute with it, and then... I never do. I don't know how to do hair. I finally gave in and had it cut again. I really want to see some pics of you and your girls with these hairstyles :)