Sunday, March 4, 2012

At Least They've Got Each Other

This has been an emotional week for us. Chant and Freddie got in their wreck in the early hours of the morning Thursday, March 1. We hadn't driven my car, Calvin our Chrysler Pacifica, since February 18 because it was sounding really bad. We hadn't taken it in to get looked at, we just parked it. After Chant's wreck we decided to find out what was wrong with my car. Friday the machanic called us back with bad news. It has a knocking engine and needs a new one. They aren't making this type of engine anymore, so to replace it would be $7,000. Poor Calvin isn't even worth that anymore, so a new engine wasn't an option.

Man my heart hurts! There are so many memories in that car. Calvin brought both Ainsley and Porter home from the hospital. He moved us halfway across the country and made several trips back and forth between Idaho and Missouri in the 4 years we lived there. He had amazing luggage capacity and we always used every inch! Calvin took us to far off places like New Jersey and Connecticut. He was there the first time my kids saw the ocean. We've seen so much country in that car! So many sights. Calvin was our cheaufer on our weekend explorations of downtown St. Louis, trips to Grafton on the ferry. He was witness to some of the best concerts. It was in Calvin that our kids learned Justin Bieber's "Baby." Our world has never been the same since. I still can't believe I won't be driving him again. I'm sure it'll hit me later today when I have to clean him out and say good-bye for the last time. One thing that's helped the kids is to think that maybe Calvin and Freddie will be sitting next to each other in car heaven, just like they've been for the past 6 years, probably sharing stories about the crazies they used to drive around. Love you Calvin, thanks for everything!


2 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally remember when you got Calvin the Pacifica! It seemed like such an awesome car, and I was so excited for you. Now I am sad for you. So sorry.

Cam and Mary said...

Sorry about your cars! I'm excited to see what your new one is and what its name is! :)