Freddie died yesterday. Freddie the Ford Focus that we always called our little frog because of his bright green color. I know it's silly to cry for a car, but I can't help it. Freddie joined our family in Spring 2004. One of the first things that pulled me to him was his color. I loved it! So rich, so bright, so full of life. He was perfect for me! Freddie and I made the 1/2 hour trek from Rexburg to Ashton every day that fall while I did my student teaching. He was such a good listener as I went over my lesson plans and told facts or stories I would share with my students later in the day.
Freddie was Brinnley's first car ride as he brought her home from the hospital. He was also my chariot to and from the hospital for months while i was pregnant with Brinnley and had to go to the hospital for my fluids everyday. He never failed me.
When we moved to Missouri, Freddie became Chant's driving buddy. They drove the 20 miles to school and back home every weekday for 4 years. They listened to music together, laughed at Brian Reagan and Frank Caliendo. They took care of each other.
When it was time to move from Missouri to Utah, Freddie got us here safely. Since we have lived here, Freddie has been Chant's work horse. Every morning at 1:15 they head out for the morning paper route. Once again, they listened to music, laughed at comedy routines. Freddie took good care of Chant. He worked so hard for us. He's been a part of our family.
Toward the end of his life Freddie was showing his age a little. His back window wouldn't roll down and his front window wouldn't roll up. Chant took the door off and rigged the window with a rope that he could pull to roll the window up and release to lower the window. It worked like a charm! His speakers were blown, all but the front passenger side. But he was still able to share his music even though it was a little quieter. He had the best heater! I know that's part of the reason that Chant hasn't gotten sick even though he is in the cold every morning for hours.
Little car, I love you and I am so sad to see you go. But even in the end, you kept Chant safe. You didn't roll over when you could have. Thank you little car, you've been good to us and we will miss you! Even the girls got teary eyed when we told them you wouldn't be coming home. They knew how special you were and always loved riding in you. Thanks for all the memories! We won't forget you!
No comments:
Post a Comment