Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spring Fever's Kicking In!

Man, I feel antsy today! I have all these ideas and wishes rolling around inside of me, thinks I want to learn and do. I feel like a ball of nervous energy. I have so much I want to do! I want it to be spring, not just the teasings of spring with snow on the horizon. I want to plant flowers, wear flip flops and shorts, and go on long walks in the sun. I am getting so desperate I might even want a potted plant or flower for my table. (Gasps are coming from my mom right now.) I am ready to throw open the windows and do my spring cleaning. Like pulling out the fridge and oven to clean under them and reorganizing the basement. I want order!
I want to learn how to do more creative things with my hair. I have been reading a blog called The Small Things. Love it! Kate is a wizard in the art of hair. Seriously, every style she does is so cute! Now my hair is long enough I might be able to do some of these things. Now all I need is a new pack of bobby pins and someone to hold my mirror behind me so I can see where to put said bobby pins. A three-way mirror would come in handy. And while we are on the subject of hair, I could use some highlights or lowlights. Or maybe a side-sweep bang? Whatever, I just need some SHINE! And I need to make some headbands. I would wear my hair down more often if I had one or two to help hold it back from my face a little. SO many cute headband ideas and not enough time or money to make them.

I've recently become obsessed with fashion. I don't want to buy brand names like Prada or Louis Vuitton, but I want to learn about them, their history. In fact, I have learned a lot. For example, Louis Vuitton was started in 1858 with a specialty in flat-bottom trunks. It wasn't until 1999, the year after Marc Jacobs was made Louis Vuitton's Art Director, that they introduced the first ready-to-wear line. 1999! That surprised me. I recently checked out this 20th Century Fashion book. It talks about fashion from the 1900's to 2000. It is really interesting to see how connected fashion and social culture are. I have loved learning about each decade's styles.
I've also recently had a desire to learn more about art, specifically the impressionist artists. In the many books I have read I am constantly seeing references to artists. It has been fun to look up the artists and see their style and how the characters in the books I read view what they are looking at. It makes me what to really see these paintings for myself and discover if they move me or mean anything significant to me. I love the stories behind the paintings as well. I am loving Renoir and Claude Monet. Even Picasso is starting to make more sense to me as I learn more about him. I loved reading about Gertrude Stein and the many pieces in her art collection that hung from the walls in her Parisan home at 27 Rue de Fleurus. Fascinating stuff. I only wish I had paid more attention to my art classes in college. I was so wrapped up in my history classes at the time. Too bad I realized too late that art in itself is a form or history and showing what things were like during a certain time period, what mediums and styles were in fashion at the time.

See what I mean? I am all over the place!

1 comment:

Cam and Mary said...

I totally know how you feel! As soon as it starts to warm up even a little bit I just want to be outside. I love your love for learning!