Friday, March 26, 2010

Drivers Education

I do not like to drive. The list of reasons is a long one.
1.) When I was little my mom would tell me to shut my eyes and go to sleep and when I woke up we would be at our destination. So every time I got in the car I fell asleep. No matter how long or short the drive. (Well, I guess I could make it across town, but any further than that and I was pushing it.) The problem with this is that the habit stuck. Even when I was the driver. My senior year of high school. I fell asleep at the wheel and rolled my parents' car 3 times. I am still nervous about doing it again.
2.) I get dry eyes when I am staring at the road.
3.) Night vision is not so good.
4.) I grew up in a small town. No stop lights. Going off to Rexburg for school was a scary thing for me. Driving in the "Big City." Little did I know.

We have lived in Missouri for a little over 3 years now. I missed out on doing a lot of fun things with friends because I was too afraid to drive. I declined going on their big adventures. This year I told myself that I wasn't going to let that fear hold me back any longer.

I am pleased to announce that I have made several "daring" trips in the past few weeks. While my mom was here we successfully drove to Hobby Lobby and back home not once but twice. Last week I drove to an area that I was unfamiliar with to go to a park with my friend Emily. And let me tell you, it was a fabulous day. And today I drove even further to an area that I was even more unfamiliar with to go to Purina Farms. And we had a blast! All of these things I would not have done before.

I am so glad I stopped letting my fear get in the way of me doing the things I want to do. I almost feel I can take on State Street and Bangerter Highway. Almost. Give me 9 more months and I will be ready ;)

3 comments:

Liana Brown said...

I hate driving too! Not as bad as you... but Joel does most of the driving so I don't feel very confident with it either. Espcially at night.. it puts me to sleep! Good Job for conquering your fear and having some adventures! Hobby Lobby is SO WORTH IT! :) keep it up!

Seth said...

I'm so glad you are doing such fun things! Is 9 months when you are coming back? I sure hope so!

Cam and Mary said...

Good job Kara! I'm proud of you! :)