Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Oh, Matthew!

Tonight was Brinnley's Kindergarten Open House. It was just for the parents. And oh am I glad Chant was able to go with me! Brinnley has been in school for two weeks and two days. The first day of school I started what I hope will be a tradition for a very long time. As soon as we get home from the bus stop, Brinnley and I go sit on my bed and she tells me all about her day. It has been so wonderful to have that one-on-one time with her and really be able to listen to her. Every day she tells me what she learned, what special classes she had (art, P.E., computers), and all about lunch and recess. The first week of school she mentioned a girl named Autumn everyday. They ate lunch together and played at recess together. The second week of school she stopped talking about Autumn so much and Olivia and Matthew entered the picture. The first time she mentioned Matthew was a week ago today. And he has been in every recess and lunch story since then. I asked what they do and she says they play on the monkey bars, the spider's web, or the swings. Last Thursday Brinn lost her hair bow and Matthew spent the whole recess helping her look for it. He even asked his sister if she would look for it the next day during her recess. Sounds like a good kid to me. And Brinn and I had a talk a few days before school started about not kissing boys on the playground. So I asked if she has kissed Matthew and she told me no.

I was excited about tonight because I was hoping I would be able to meet Matthew's parents. When the meeting ended Chant asked if I was ready to go or if I needed to talk to Mrs. Alton (Brinn's teacher) about anything. Just then Olivia's mom came up to me. I had met her during Kindergarten orientation. We were talking about how the girls are liking school and who else they are playing with and I mentioned that Brinnley talks a lot about Olivia and Matthew and that I was hoping to meet his parents. A mom standing in line to talk to Mrs. Alton said, "Are you Brinnley's mom?" Aha! Matthew's parents! She said on the first day of school Matthew came home and told her he had met a really cute girl at school but didn't know her name. She said from the second day of school on he has talked about her and he's got a crush. We talked for a while and shared some stories the kids have told us. I have to admit that I feel much better knowing who his parents are and that they seem like normal, nice people.

When we picked Brinnley up from our friends' home, we told her we met Matthew's mom and dad. In the car, Chant asked if she thought he was handsome. She got a big smile and said "yes." I asked her again if they have been kissing. She said, "No, but I hug him." Oh boy! I guess I deserved that because during our shortened version of the talk I told her that we can show people we like them by being kind and sometimes giving hugs. So, first crush? I think so.

In other news: we are signing Ainsley up for dance and she cannot wait! We bought her leotard and tights today and she wore them for an hour. Her first day is next Wednesday. And tonight we talked about signing Brinn up for Girl Scouts. And the fun begins! My girls are growing up!

Sorry for the longest post ever, if you are still even reading it :)

3 comments:

Crystal and Billy said...

Wow, that's got to be somethin' else for you parents. I can't imagine.

r.l.secor said...

All I can say is BIG SIGH.......
It's all so fresh in my mind - and knowing it was coming for you made me nervous. Having kids changes your life. Sending them to school changes it all over again. I wonder if I will ever adjust.

I've thought to tell you for a long time that we went to this party for one of Alex's friends and it was at a Karate place - I can't remember what exactly made me think of it - but I just remember thinking Brinnley would be amazing at this!

Missed you on Wednesday - talk to you soon!

Cam and Mary said...

That's such a cute story! We will be coming through Missouri on our way back to Utah. I really hope we can see you for a quick visit! Oh, and we will be living in Logan.