On this day (January 26) four years ago I started my morning like any other. I spent a few hours watching Gilmore Girls, Judging Amy, and ER. I was enjoying being lazy after having only graduated from college one month before. I didn't have anything else to do, so why not indulge in a few hours of my favorite shows? Finally at 11:00 I decided to get ready for the day. My afternoon progressed as usual. About 2:55 I found my shoes and sat down on the couch to put them on. I had a doctor's appointment at 3:30 and Chant would be home from work soon to pick me up. I was 37 weeks along in my first pregnancy and about to meet my new doctor for the first time. (Long story, but point is I had to switch.) As I bent over I felt a small rush of fluid. I was mortified because I thought I had just wet my pants. I changed my clothes and continued getting ready. But the fluid didn't stop coming. All at once it hit me in a panicky rush that my water had just broken. What! My bag wasn't packed!!! I ran around the apartment throwing things in my bag. I already had a list of what to take, I just had to throw it in. Chant walked into the door and saw me running around. I announced my water had broken. Then the question came "What do I do? Do I go to the hospital or do I go to my
appointment?" I wanted to meet my doctor first, so to the doctor's office we went.
I sat in the waiting room filled with excitement that continued to radiate while we waited in the exam room. When Dr. Prince walked in the door he introduced himself and then asked when I was due. I said, "Today, my water just broke." He had a look of shock on his face. He still wanted to do the exam to make sure. I was at 3 cm. He could already see a hair full of red hair. A redhead!?! He sent me to the hospital and said he would see me soon.
I spent the next few hours in pain. Our good friend Randi worked at the hospital and her husband Adam came to see her for dinner. When he found out I was there, he stuck his head in the room and found me pacing the floor. Finally I had had enough and I told Chant to tell the nurse I wanted an epidural. Adam stayed in the room to try to help me. Poor guy! He didn't know what to do with me pacing and saying over and over it hurt.
They came quickly to give me an the epidural. The instructions: don't move. Yeah right! I felt this incredible pressure the whole time. Finally when it was in I was told I could lie down again. As soon as I did I told the nurse I felt like I needed to push. She said there was no way I was at a 10 yet but she said she'd check anyway. Guess what? I was at 10 cm. So, needless to say I did not get to reap the benefits of the epidural and they shut it off immediately.
Half an hour of pushing and at 7:19 p.m. out came the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Just like Dr. Prince said, she had a head full of red hair. The nurses took her and cleaned her then delivered her to me. Chant and I just stared at the beautiful little baby in my arms. I couldn't believe my Brinnley Beth was here. That was one of the most amazing days of my life.
You are such a joy and I am so grateful to have you in my life. Happy Birthday to you my little angel!
Love,
Mom
2 comments:
I love birth stories! It seems like the water only breaks in the movies, so this is an extra cool story. She is a beautiful little girl.
What a great story. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment