Issue 1: Preschool
Chant and I heard about a program through the school district for pre-school a while ago. It is 3 times a week for an hour and a half each time. The class has a teacher to oversee things and then high school students are the ones who plan the activities and carry them out. It is only $35 for the whole program. I thought that was amazing! So we talked about it for a while and finally decided to call the teacher in charge to get more info and find out when it starts. We have called several times over the past few weeks and have heard nothing back (we were only able to leave messages). Finally yesterday we actually got to talk to her! After a few questions she said they had an opening and Brinn could start this Friday! WOW, that was fast! So here's the deal, I am suddenly feeling really up and down about it. I have been so excited about it ever since I first heard about the program. Brinn is a very social kid. She loves to play with other kids and is very good at making new friends. But she also likes her alone time. Her and Ainsley play so well together, but sometimes Brinn just wants to play by herself. That is why I thought this would be so great for Brinn. It would give her a chance to make new friends and socialize, but it would also give her some alone time (from the fam) to do something that is just for her. And I think it would be good for Ains and I to have some time to do things with just the two of us. Sometimes I feel like she gets lost in the shuffle. But then I get nervous. I guess it is mostly because I cannot believe Brinn is old enough to be going to pre-school! She is almost 4! I am not at all worried about Brinn getting lost in the shuffle at the pre-school. It is 3 kids to each high school student. And they are not going to be overly structured. There will be activities and games, but it will not be intense or anything. I think it will be good for all of us, I just have to get used to it. And Brinnley cannot wait for Friday! Now I just have to practice getting up and going because she has to be there at 9:15. But I can do it, with all 3 kids in tow!
Issue 2: Haircuts
So we have lived here almost 2 years and I have yet to find a stylist that I love. That is until now. I got my hair cut last Saturday. I had been needing one for a while, but I kept putting it off because I always get nervous for what my hair will look like when it is finished. I have had some bad experience here that have resulted in lots of tears and hysteria. I was finally at the over-the-edge point when I wanted to grab the scissors and whack it myself. Since that is obviously not a good idea, I got an appointment with a professional. The very fist thing the girl said to me was "Wow, you have really thick hair. I have my work cut out for me." She then told me she was going to thin it a little. I got a little squirmy. I am not a fan of the words "thin" and "hair" being in the same sentence. But I let her do it anyway. And to my amazement, I love it! It is day 3 of doing my hair and I actually don't hate it. Thanks Becca for the suggestion of where to go!
Issue 3: Let it go or try harder?
I got this forward a few days ago and I have been thinking about it a lot. This was the message, "There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore, and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past, there is a reason why they didn't make it to your future." Interesting. But it made me thing. This is something I have always struggled with. I hope I am not the only one that feels this way, but there have been friendships throughout the course of my life that at the time are not being as fulfilling as I wish they would be. And then there are friendships that were important but due to moving or other events in life they have dwindled. When faced with the opportunity to get reacquainted, the question arises in the back of my mind, "Will this amount to anything or has to much time passed to rekindle that friendship?" So my question is, let it go or try harder? Let go of current friendships that are not healthy relationships or try harder to make them healthy? Work harder at getting in touch with those from the past that were once important or hold onto the memories and lessons learned from those friendships and let it go? Just something I think about every once in a while. Am I weird? Probably. What are your thoughts on the subject?
3 comments:
Oh dear Kara - I have a feeling that commenting on here may have to lead to a blog post of my own because I might a lot to say. Let's see how it goes!
So preschool. Same feelings here. We had decided to take Alex out of preschool to save money. For 3 days she was cool with it. So I was like ok, this will be fine, I can do my own thing with her, and then I got the idea about doing my own preschool. Then, I couldn't bring myself to write the cancelation note. Then, she got all excited about preschool. Now I feel like I am back and forth every hour and unable to decide. I want more time with just her, but I already have MWF, am I really doing her a diservice, she is only 3 and has lots of time for preschool still. BUT now I have all these ideas for doing preschool here - and .... I was really interested in that FZ program too...
OK, Hair. WOO HOO!!!! I can't wait to see it! I guess if I am going to recommend a place, I should probably try it to! You give me guts Kara.
Finally, Friends. I am so not the person to even be talking about this... I am not a good friend. Not that I am a bad person. I just get so ridden with anxiety and overwhelmed with little petty things, that I can't bring myself to pick up the phone or write a letter. I have people in my life who are very important to me, that I NEVER talk to. How sad is that. So sad.
I recently have noticed that it is very common for good friends who live far apart to only talk to each other every 6 months or so. I have friends who are diligent in calling me about that often. I always feel a little ashamed that I have been thinking about them but have never called.
I guess I would say as a piece of advice to myself that if they are important to me - then I should make an effort, in what ever way possible, to show them.
I have had several friends who have been so diligent in being my friend - I always wonder "why they want to be my friend" especially with my pathetic track record - and I am greatful that they were.
I guess it seems like a true statement though that if they aren't meant to be a part of your future, you won't find them there.
I guess I have found that even through blogging and Facebook that I have contact with some of those people that I might not otherwise - and I miss them, and I wish it were easier to keep in touch.
SO - to top off the whole thought process - I am sorry that I haven't called you! It just always seems easier to hide in a dark corner from the kids and write a blog or a comment than it is to fight the noise and the craziness and pick up the phone.
I am a wimp!
Great thoughts Kara.
I have the same problem with some friends of mine. I try for a while, then give up because I am the only one trying, and then go back to trying. It's a hard situation. I guess you just do what you feel is best for you at the time, even though that can be hard. Hope you are having a good week!
I would say that the email forward has truth but is a bit cynical. What does it really mean that someone isn't 'meant' to be a part of your life. How about just living in different parts of the world because that is where a job or school takes you? What I love about blogging is the ability to keep up with friends that live down the street and across the country. Honestly, do moms really have time during the day or night to sit on the phone and chit-chat? Not really. I feel guilty sometimes for taking a half hour to talk to my mom! I don't think it is a good idea to keep being friends with people if they drag you down. I do think it is a good idea that if there are hurt feelings they need to be resolved. This will just strengthen the relationship. As far as reconnecting with the past? Why not? It's one more person to listen and talk to. It's one more person to share the joys and struggles of life with. And it makes people feel really loved. For example, you leaving me your email and putting my new blog on your list made me feel so special and loved. Thanks Kara!
Post a Comment