Monday, October 27, 2008

"OH, Monkey!"










That's the phrase Ainsley belts out anytime Monkey has been left at home when we go out.  Leaving Monkey at home is always accidental because I would never intentionally put myself through hearing that phrase repeated over and over until it is screamed with a touch of panic in her voice and then it escalates until a major, traumatic meltdown occurs.  However, I have been hearing that phrase a lot less lately.  While we were on our trip, we of course had Monkey with us, but sometimes we made Ainsley leave him in the car.  He was not with us when we walked on the Beach in New Jersey.  
Since we have been home I have noticed that she has been bringing other toys instead of Monkey when we go out.  The Big Shocker occurred yesterday when we went to Church and Monkey stayed home.  She didn't even ask to bring him or go looking for him when we left.  I did not realize he wasn't with us until we pulled into the church parking lot.  So I crossed my fingers and prayed there would be no meltdowns when she realized he was at home.  But she never even asked about him.  Yeah!  It was amazing to go 3 hours and not even have a little whimper because she was missing her best friend.    
However I find myself having mixing feelings about the separation that is occurring.  Monkey is a part of our family.  He goes everywhere with us and he has been through a lot.  I often wonder if his little arms and legs are going to withstand all the loving that he gets.  For his welfare, I am glad that he is getting some downtime.  Maybe he will last a little longer.  But I find myself feeling a little sad.  This means my baby girl is growing up.  I know Monkey will always be important, especially at nighttime, just like Moo is to Brinnley.  But it is hard for me to watch my baby get so big.  It was equally as hard to see Moo being left behind more and more until now he is just for cuddling on the couch and a nighttime friend.  But this means my girls are growing up to be confident and secure and they no longer need their security blankets.  They are beautiful, happy children and I am so blessed to be there mother.  I feel amazing gratitude that I am the one who gets to see them grow from tiny little babies to the beautiful women they will become.  But they will always be my little girls, no matter how old they are!

1 comment:

Cam and Mary said...

I don't think I've ever met Monkey! :) Your kids are all adorable. It was fun sitting by you at church!