Saturday, August 25, 2012

One to Remember

 School starts Tuesday, which means summer is almost over.  This has truly been a wonderful summer.  We have done a lot of fun things:  a trip to Bullfrog, two trips to Ashton, a family reunion.  But amid all the fun travels, we have had a pretty amazing summer just being at home.  I have to admit I was nervous what this summer was going to be like, worried that all I would hear are whines of "I'm bored!" or constant fighting.  To my immense relief and delight, that hasn't been the norm.  Of course there have been little tiffs here and there, but I would expect nothing else.  But honestly it hasn't been that bad.  The "I'm bored!" refrain has only graced us with its presence in the last two weeks.  When I heard it the first time, I silently thanked that little phrase for staying away for so long. 

This summer has been filled with bike rides around our house, games of Dead Man on the trampoline.  It's been spiced up with picnics on the porch, camp-outs under the trampoline, and long afternoons of building neighborhoods on the Lego table.  Mornings have been spent watching mom sweat to her exercise video of choice or sometimes even joining in.  Television has been a little diversion in the afternoons when they are hot and tired.  But it's been a treat for them, not a fight to have it turned off. 

This summer holds a special place in my heart.  It's been filled with the sounds of my beautiful children playing prince and rockstar, house and animals, explorers and spies.  (Brinnley is always the Prince; Porter is often the mom; and someone is always Logan, mostly Ainsley, and Maddie, mostly Porter.  If there is a baby, it's Canyun, Riley, or Isaiah.  The animal of choice is whatever was talked about on Wild Kratts that day.  Of late it's been wolves.)  It's been a summer of sweaty heads from bike helmets and Ainsley's favorite blue and purple patchwork hat.  It's been a summer of carefree hair, which honestly we are lucky to brush, and mismatched outfits.  It's been a summer of laughing.  These three have been each others' best friends.  They have looked after each other, played well with each other, loved each other. 

One of my favorite memories with the kids and me would have to be reading The Phantom of the Post Office.  I read it out loud to them in the front yard while the kids weeded my flowers and Canyun ate grass and played with cars.  We read it under the trampoline while lying on our stomachs on a blanket listening to pounding of hammers on nails of the house being built behind us.  We read in snuggled up together on the loveseat.  The kids listened intently for clues and squealed with excitement when they figured out the mystery.  I love sharing my passion for reading with them.  I love seeing them be invested in characters and what will happen to them.

I love you my beautiful children!  I hope it was a good summer for you.  For me, it was a summer I hope never to forget! 




No comments: