The other day Chant and I went to Old Navy. After losing weight, my coat from last year was drowning me, and my yellow gem from high school would make a person lose weight due to sweating because it is so heavy. It is for like 20 degree, nose hairs freezing cold weather. I needed something not that heavy, but heavier than a hoodie. I took an armful to the dressing room and came out beaming in this beauty shown above. Chant was surprised by this pick. I think the ruffle threw him. I would never have chosen something like this before. He said he felt it was too fancy for everyday. I chose to leave the coat at the store on its hanger, not because it wasn't Chant's fav but because it needed a few more buttons. This shopping experience did spur a conversation and some thinking. I have chosen a few things lately that have been a surprise to Chant. He said he likes them, it's just that he has prided himself on being able to peg things I would like. But my likes are shifting and so that is becoming harder for him. I thought back to my newly-wed days. (Sorry, no pics because this was way back before we had a digital camera.) Lets just say my style was simple. Polo shirts, jeans, hair pulled halfway back with a barret. Nothing fancy. The past year or so I have been drawn to things with color, texture, patterns. I have become fond of accessories. I think I always liked these things, I just didn't have the confidence to wear them. I am at a place where I am feeling good about myself and I am not afraid to wear what I like even if others might not like it. (Although it's always a plus if my husband doesn't think I look awful :) )
Well, that shift in style has not just been within the clothing area. In thinking about moving, I have one wish that will probably take a while, but here it is. I want to redecorate my living room. I want to have a space that is pulled together and looks cohesive instead of a hodge-podge of styles. This weekend we hit a few garage sales and I found these beauties. I can't tell you how excited I am. I have wanted to have a few vintage looking suitcase stacked in a corner in my future living room. Well, these are vintage, complete with original travel stickers. I love that they have a few scratches and look older. (Chant is shocked that I am saying that!) I am just so excited! Now all I need is a metal locker! Yes, locker as in the place you dropped your books in high school. Follow me, I have a vision! I am so excited to decorate my home the way I want to truly express who I am. Here's to confidence to do what I want and embracing change!
8 comments:
Change can be a great thing, and it sounds like your changes are a result of your boost in confidence. That's AWESOME! You should be confident; you're amazing.
You will get there before too long! It's fun to make a house a home and I'm excited for you guys to come back this way and do it!!! :) Glad things are going well for you guys. We sure miss you!
I love loved your post Kara. It makes me so happy to hear others become happier more confident, more comfortable expressing or just being themselves.
I LOVE that coat by the way and would look amazing on you.
I still think you should go get the coat! Do I need to come and kidnap you and take you to get it? :-)
Congrats on the boost of confidence. I'm glad to see it! It looks good on you. :-) Can't wait to see picts of the living oom!
Love the suitcases and the coat! It sounds like you have some great changes going on. I'm so happy for you!
I feel the same way... like I have change tastes a little over time. It's amazing how that happens, but it does. I like the coat, BTW. And let us know how your cohesive room works.
I love that coat! Isn't it funny how your taste changes? I can't tell what I like, and if it's ever been the same. I always buy different 'looks'.
We do love it here. It's so beautiful...and just feels so homey here. We do miss our Idaho though!! That will always be home for us!
Yup. I'm siding with the majority. The coat is pretty rad. I'm definitely a fan. By the way, I get Chant. I can usually spot "Becca Style" from at least 60 feet. 80 on a clear day. Can't imagine that changing and I'd probably end up with a blown mind if it did :) We'll see when/if that day comes and call a cleanup crew then. ~ Ben
Post a Comment