Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Help Meets

"And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him." Genesis 2:18

Yesterday was a rough day for me. My dad went in for a procedure early in the morning and so I started off the day a little frazzled as I waited for the news of what they found. When the kids woke up they too seemed a little irritable. Chant was off to clinic and the kids and I were here. After a morning or nitpicking and nagging, I couldn't wait for blessed brake that naptime would offer. And then my little man decided he didn't want to nap his usual 2.5 hours. One hour will do today thank you! So after a short break we were back at it. Dishes, laundry, cleaning rooms. Then came dinner time and a burnt finger for a little boy on a burner that was still hot. He was not to be consoled and cried for close to 2.5 hours. I was even more frazzled then before. Finally I got the little man calmed down and he was tuckered out, so it was off to bed. I plopped down on the couch feeling exhausted and very much in need of a hug. Just then I heard the back door open and a tired-looking husband came into view. He came over to me and said, "I need a hug!" Amen!

Before Church last Sunday we were asked by a member of the Stake Presidency if we could chat for a minute. Well, everyone knows chats turn into callings. And this chat was no different. After President asked Chant if he would accept the calling and Chant said yes, he turned to me. "Sister, will you support your husband in this call?" I have been asked this question before as Chant has been extended other callings, but for some reason this time was different, it meant more. Will I support my husband? SO, that means no complaining about early morning meetings or staying after church? Yes, it means that. But it means more, I think. I have seen in my marriage that when I am excited about what Chant is doing he does better. But when I hesitate or seem reluctant, some of my attitude rubs of on him. Supporting my husband seemed to mean more than just not complaining. It means offering encouragement and sending him out the door with a smile on my face when he leaves to do the work he has been asked to do.

You may be asking how the scripture and the two stories relate. I have been thinking a lot lately about what it means to be wife. Husbands needs just as much love and support as wives do. We need to encourage each other in our efforts at work, at home, at church; be grateful for the help we offer each other; and offer emotional support. I know I could not do it without my husband, partner, and best friend. I am grateful for my husband and my eternal marriage.

I love you Chant!

4 comments:

Randi and Adam said...

I know exactly how you feel and what you said is so true. We really do have to support each other. I know I'm guilty of thinking I've had a harder day then Adam...life is just difficult sometimes and we need to be there for each other. And be greatful that at the end of the day, we have amazing husbands.

Amie Orton said...

amen Kara. all the sudden Clinic hits and Devin started needing a few hugs every clinic day too. Who knew chiropractics could be so Ruthless?

Devin has also had the Calling that Chant just received. (except we didn't have 3 children to go along with it!) He'll do a great job and learn A LOT. So will you. Just buckle up and put a smile on/ fake or real. And come hang out with me when lonely! It will all be worth it!

gracie said...

Kara, I didn't know if I ever told you that I enjoy reading your blogs. I really loved this one! Please let me know if you ever need anything, and best of luck with Chant's new calling!

gracie

Cam and Mary said...

So what is this new calling? Is everything okay with your dad? I hope so! It can be really hard to truly be supportive sometimes, but I know you'll do great. Thank goodness for wonderful husbands!