It is Christmas Eve. Up until now I have been so busy with parties, doctor appointments, and being sick that I have not had much of a chance to be homesick. But today I am. The kids are napping. Rain is thumping the roof of my home. Chant is doing some last minute shopping. And I am alone. It won't stay that way. The children will awaken, Chant will return, and we will be off for dinner with friends tonight. But for now, here I sit in silence but for the gentle thrumming sound of fingers on computer keys. I miss my Mom. I miss her home. I miss sitting and talking with her on the sofa by the window. I miss my Dad snoring softly in his favorite chair. I miss all the hustle and bustle of nieces and nephews, brothers and sisters-in-law coming and going. I miss playing games. I miss Mom's amazing cooking. I miss the hugs and smiles of family. Now I wish I had a Kleenex! I miss my sisters-in-law, and laughing with them. I miss my mother-in-laws gentle hugs and tender voice as she plays with the kids. I miss our visit with Opa and Oma and taking over their basement with all our things. I wanted to see my father. It has been a year since we saw him last. I'll dry my eyes now so I won't be crying when the kids come out of their room. I will enjoy the rest of the day and tomorrow too as we celebrate the birth of our Savior. But a little piece of my heart will be out West, with family playing in the snow. I love you all!
Thursday, December 24, 2009
I'll Be Home for Christmas, If Only In My Dreams...
It is Christmas Eve. Up until now I have been so busy with parties, doctor appointments, and being sick that I have not had much of a chance to be homesick. But today I am. The kids are napping. Rain is thumping the roof of my home. Chant is doing some last minute shopping. And I am alone. It won't stay that way. The children will awaken, Chant will return, and we will be off for dinner with friends tonight. But for now, here I sit in silence but for the gentle thrumming sound of fingers on computer keys. I miss my Mom. I miss her home. I miss sitting and talking with her on the sofa by the window. I miss my Dad snoring softly in his favorite chair. I miss all the hustle and bustle of nieces and nephews, brothers and sisters-in-law coming and going. I miss playing games. I miss Mom's amazing cooking. I miss the hugs and smiles of family. Now I wish I had a Kleenex! I miss my sisters-in-law, and laughing with them. I miss my mother-in-laws gentle hugs and tender voice as she plays with the kids. I miss our visit with Opa and Oma and taking over their basement with all our things. I wanted to see my father. It has been a year since we saw him last. I'll dry my eyes now so I won't be crying when the kids come out of their room. I will enjoy the rest of the day and tomorrow too as we celebrate the birth of our Savior. But a little piece of my heart will be out West, with family playing in the snow. I love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Totally know how you feel! I had to take Hudson to the Dr early this morning and Cam is at work today and tomorrow. Hopefully we'll be able to spend Christmas with our families next year! Merry Christmas Kara!
I was so busy with Christmas and Santa, that I didn't get to read your post until today! We missed you guys so much! Christmas morning wasn't the same without little kid hands helping open presents, and you and Chant's smiling faces. Love you. ~Kris
Post a Comment