Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving





Thanksgiving this year was great.  Chant's sis Kristy flew in at 11:00 p.m. on Wednesday.  Chant and the girls left to take her back to the airport at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, so it was a fast trip, but so good to have her here.  The meal came together really well.  Basic, but delicious!  We spent the morning putting up our Christmas tree.  The tree is it's own story.  So my family has always had a real tree.  Since I have been 12 we have cut down our own tree and before that we always got a real one from a tree lot.  I have never had a fake tree.  Last year I wanted to continue the tradition of the real tree.  So Chant found a tree farm not too far from our home.  It was so fun!  We got to take a ride on a wagon out to where the trees are and then we found the perfect tree and cut it down ourselves.  It was perfect.  We left for Idaho Dec 17 and we wouldn't be back till Jan 8, so we took our tree down the night before we left.  I was actually already in bed, so Chant was doing it.  He said when he pulled the tree away from the wall, the wall was covered with hundreds of baby preying mantises.  He took a  towel and wiped them off the wall.  Nasty!!!  We wanted so badly to get a real tree, but we were so worried about the bugs.  And this year we aren't going home, so we will be leaving our tree up until January.  We didn't want to chance it, so we broke tradition and got a fake tree.  and it is beautiful.  But is was definitely a little weird for me.  While Chant was getting the tree put together, Kristy, and kids and I ran to Wal-Mart.  When we got home the tree was ready to go.  The girls and Chant decorated it while Kristy and I cooked.  The tree looks great and the food was amazing!
It was so good to have Kristy here.  It is always nice to have family around for the holidays.  Thanks for coming Kris!

That evening the missionaries came over.  They were stuffed from dinner so we got to enjoy the desserts with them.  Then we played Sequence.  That made me feel like I was home.  I knew my family would be playing games and I was missing that.  I felt a little less homesick after that.  

It was a great holiday.  And it feels even more like the holiday season because yesterday we woke up to snow on the ground!  Love it!  Feels like home!

P.S.
The snowman dresses were made by my Mom.  Thanks Mom, the girls loved them and they felt like Princesses all day.  They asked everyone as Church if they liked their new dresses. 

1 comment:

Emily said...

I agree that your tree looks beautiful. I would have never guessed it was fake. Your girls' dresses are adorable! And they look so cute in front of the tree. So you guys aren't going anywhere for Christmas? I like doing Christmas with just our family. It is so fun with little kids!