Friday, January 27, 2012

Birthday Time!

January 26th my Brinnley turned 7. This birthday and age is hard for me to wrap my head around. There is no way I can have a 7 year old! She is growing way to fast!

School was pretty fun for her. She took treats to school (individually wrapped Twizzlers or Tweezlers in this house). The janitor, Jared, and the school helper? Sue both said happy birthday to her. Sue even gave her a happy birthday crown. She came home feeling so special!

She and I consulted about almost every detail of her birthday party. She helped pick the decorations, she chose the cake, and she planned the menu (for the kids). It was so fun to look through all the fun cake ideas with her on Pinterest. I enjoyed the planning just was much as she did. This party was a lot of work, but oh so worth it!

Thursday the 26th we had the fam over for a party. The guest list included Margi, Mike and Kristy, Jen, and Teran. The first order of business was dinner. The menu for the kids was hot dogs. Easy. For the adults: salad, homemade rolls, and Tomato Tortellini soup. Making the rolls was a fun venture. I had the kids help me roll them (crescent rolls) and flour and dough was everywhere! But we had oh so much fun doing it together. The soup was excellent, but I forgot to put the cheese in. Oh well, more for on top ;)

After dinner we opened presents. Ainsley got a stuffed dog for Christmas and I brought Porter back a dog pillow pet from Vegas. Brinnley has been saying that she needs a dog. She finally got one. His name is Chocolate Chip.

Auntie J made Brinnley 4 different gift cards to redeem on their girls day out. There is one for dinner, a movie, making crafts, and brunch with Mike and Kristy. She is so excited!
She also got a real gift card (thanks everyone!) so we can do some summer clothes shopping a little bit later. This lady loves her a gift card!
So cool! This is an actual street sign! Jen has some connections!
Then the cake. So this cake I found on Pinterest. On Pinterest it was a two layer cake with ice cream in the middle. It looked like a lot of work and I am not the best with two layer cakes, yet. So we did a single layer and chose to put the ice cream on the side instead of in it. It's just a round cake with Kit Kats on the edges and M&Ms on top. SO fun. And it wasn't sickeningly sweet either. The cake is vanilla from scratch and the frosting is from scratch too. I was pretty darn proud of myself. The only thing I bought ready made for this party was the bag of salad. Who knew I could bake? And cook? And have it taste ok?

She was one happy little lady!

I love you so much Brinnley and I am so excited for all the adventures we will have together this year!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I was totally going to make that cake for one of Audreys birthday parties but I changed my mind last minute and made candy bar cupcakes instead. How fun! I bet she loved it!!

Liana Brown said...

Happy Birthday Brinnley! Look at you and your fabulous cooking/baking skills! That cake looked so cute! So did the birthday girl!

BensonFam said...

Oh she is such a sweet, cute girl and I am so glad to know her! Good job on the party and I am extremely interested in this soup recipe (and the vanilla cake recipe!) if you're willing to share! :)

Cam and Mary said...

What a fun birthday! I am very impressed with your new skills, Kara! :)