Thursday, September 8, 2011

School Part 2

Tuesday, September 6 Porter started preschool. He is doing a neighborhood preschool that has a total of six kids. It rotates houses and teachers. He knew he was going to preschool but all that meant to him was he got to carry a Bobby Jack backpack. When it was time to go and I dropped him off he was all smiles. It lasts one hour and when I went back to pick him up he was still smiling. When I asked what he did he told me about horses and blocks. I knew the theme for the day was "All About Me," so I asked his teacher later what they learned about. She laughed and said the blocks and animals were only for the last 5 minutes of class. Oh well. But he did have fun showing me the giant tracing of him. He was so excited about it. "This is Porter!"
Yesterday we did some of his games from his preschool folder and he loved it! I think this is going to be great for him.
Yesterday, September 7, Ainsley started Kindergarten. Oh boy was I nervous for her. All day the day before she kept asking me questions. "What if I forget where my hook for my backpack is?" "What if I forget where my desk is?" "What if I don't get on the right bus?" "What if the other kids stare at me while I look for my hook?" She was a ball of nerves and that didn't help me.

But the morning arrived. We took great care with her outfit and her hair. While I was doing her hair I told her she needed to put her shoes on next. She asked which shoes she should wear. I told her whatever ones she wanted. She said she wanted to wear her new school sneakers but they didn't match because they are blue. "I wish they were gray or yellow." I told her it was okay if her shoes didn't match. "Are you sure?" She was finally convinced it would be okay. When she was ready to go we went outside to take pictures. She was so excited to show off her Justin Bieber backpack.

Finally it was time to go to the bus stop. I asked if she wanted me to walk her there and she said, "It's okay, I will go with Brinnley." So Chant, Porter, and I gave the girls hugs and watched from the corner as she walked across the street and to the corner for the bus stop. She looked so tiny standing there with all the big kids. When the bus rounded the corner I started to cry. She is just so little! Watching the poor thing climb those big steps!
When the bus was out of sight Porter and I went inside and settled in for a few hours of just the two of us. It was weird, but nice. We played games and read books.
Finally it was time to go to the bus stop to pick her up. When the bus pulled up she was all smiles walking down the stairs. The highlight of the day was the piece of cake she got with a note that read "My first day of Kindergarten was a piece of cake." She told me all about the two new friends she made, one of them named Ashlyn. She showed me the handprint she had made with ink on her hand. She talked about seeing the computer room. She described the playground. And then she said, "I can't wait for school tomorrow!" And I breathed a sigh of relief. She's going to be just fine! And so will I.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Your kids are so stinkin' cute - I just love them! So glad her first day went well for the both of you (and Porter's as well.)

Katie Lynn Goudie said...

So cute! I love how they are all so excited! :)