Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Saga Continues

So, for those of you who saw the pictures, but don't know the story, here it is. We have a chiropractic table so Chant can adjust me at home. We use it a lot and when I am done the girls get up on it and Chant adjusts them. The day Ainsley broke her arm (April 16) she was sitting on the table and Brinnley was standing on the floor. They were playing that Brinnley was in trouble and AInsley was rescuing her. Ainsley would hold Brinn's hand while Brinn climbed onto the table. One time Brinn actually pulled and Ainsley was not expecting it, so down she went. It is not a long fall, but she landed just right. We took her to the ER right away. It broke in a V shape and then the bone turned. They started Ainsley on Morphine and transported her by ambulance to a children's hospital in downtown St. Louis. They kept her over night and the next morning she got two pins put in. Poor thing! It was a rough start, but she has figured it out and is her normal self. But then yesterday happened. . .

Chant is on break between trimesters right now. We haven't had a chance to do anything fun yet and the break is almost over. So we thought we would take a day trip to Jefferson City. It is a little over an hour away. There are lots of free things we wanted to do and we also wanted to go grocery shopping at a store called Hy-Vee. (It is like WinCo). We wanted to go shopping first in case the girls were cranky later on. We got to town about 12:30. When I put Brinnley in the cart I noticed the gap in between the handle and the cart was large, but I didn't think anything of it. I was pushing Brinn and Chant had Ainsley in another cart. We were in the first aisle of the store when Ainsley discovered she could fit her cast down in that gap. She had done it twice and Chant told her not to do it again. It came right out with a little turning. So he had just barely gotten it out for the second time and turned to get something off the shelf. When he turned back her arm was stuck again and she was tugging to get it loose. I was a little ahead of Chant, so when he screamed my name I twirled around. The first thing I saw was her tiny purple cast laying on the floor. It had popped right off. I flipped out! Chant picked the cast up and tried to put it on just far enough so she couldn't use her hand. We found a clerk and got some paper towels to cover the pins so they wouldn't get infected. Then we got directions to the hospital. We were in the ER 4 hours. They put a temporary splint on it and send us back down to our children's hospital. Chant dropped Brinnley and I at the house and he and Ainsley went on to the hospital. The ER was packed so they didn't even get seen until 1:00 this morning and they got home at 4:30. What a day!

I think I was more in shock when the cast fell off then when she actually broke it. Seeing a cast come off is just not something I expected! But everything looks good. We were so blessed that when it came off it did not snag the pins! That would have been horible! But they x-rayed her arm and everything looks good. Two more weeks in the new cast. What a story!

1 comment:

Linford Family said...

Poor poor Ainsley! That is So scary! I can't believe it all, but it is so good that everything is still on the mend. You seem to handle things so well Kara!