Thursday, September 25, 2014

First Day of School 2014

 September 2nd was the kids' first day of school.  We had gone shopping at JcPenney a few weeks earlier and all their kids clothes were on sale.  I let each child pick one new shirt for school.  We didn't do any "back to school" clothes shopping this year, thanks to amazing friends who have given us their hand-me-downs.  But they wanted one new thing to wear the first day.  Porter chose his button down shirt.  He is so funny, almost everyday that is his go-to look:  button down over a T-shirt.  There were a ton of shirts for the girls to chose from but they both loved the owl and thought it would be fun to match.  Fine with me, I think the shirt is adorable.  But then I love owls myself.
 The night before I braided about 10 small braids in Brinnley's hair so she would have the wave she loves.
 Both girls wore their baptism necklaces.
 Porter's "1" for first grade.
 Chant was not able to be there to take the kids to school with me their first day, so the 4 of us went alone.  Ainsley wanted to go to her classroom first.  This school is much smaller than their last one, so it was fairly easy to find our way around.  We found her room and her teacher was standing by the door.  We went in and Ainsley told her teacher her name.  Her teacher said "You just moved from Utah."  Ainsley looked at me with this big smile and a look that said, "How did she know?"  My heart melted.  I know how nervous my kids were to be starting at a new school and this just made her feel a little bit less alone.
 Next was Porter's class.  His room is right across the hall from Ainsley.  All 4 of us went to meet his teacher.  She was helping another little girl find her seat, so we waited our turn.  When she came over and Porter told her his name, again the teacher said, "You're new from Utah."  Again, my heart swelled.  They were going to be okay.  Ainsley and Porter decided to go to recess together while I took Brinnley to her classroom.  I gave them big hugs and kisses and they went off together.
Brinnley's teacher is a ball full of energy.  She welcomed us in and told Brinn to pick any chair she wanted to sit at.  Brinnley looked at me with a huge smile and took off to find the perfect seat, not in the front, but not in the back.  When she found out they would have a snake for a class pet, that sealed the deal.  The perfect teacher for Brinnley.

The day was a little strange for me.  I kind of wandered around for a few minutes absorbing the silence.  But then I cracked down and crossed off quite a few things from my to-do list.

When it was time to meet the bus, I was out the door and ready to get my kids and see how their day was.  But I kept waiting and waiting.  Finally after the bus was 20 minutes late I called the school and she told me to sit tight because the buses left late.  A few minutes later the bus pulled up and my three  beautiful children ran towards me with big smiles.  Phew!  They were together and they were happy.

The second day wasn't quite so seamless with coming home.  Their school lets Kindergarten through 3 grade out 20 minutes before 4-6 grade.  That is so they can take all the younger kids on the bus first and then come back.  When I talked to the transportation department, I was told that they would keep Porter and Ainsley on the bus and only drop them off when all three kids were together.  So about 20 minutes before I was expecting them, Ainsley and Porter ran through the door.  The driver didn't keep them on.  I knew immediately Brinnley was going to be upset.  I was just grateful the kids knew their way home!  So all three of us walked back to the bus stop.  When Brinnley got off, she was almost in tears worried over where Porter and Ainsley were.  Sweet girl!  The bus driver has since dropped the two younger ones off first and then comes again with Brinnley.  It works out well because Ains and Port aren't on the bus forever, and they get home early enough that we can finish their homework before Brinnley comes home, and then I help her with her homework.  The 20 minute gap has turned out to be better than I thought it would.

Almost a month in and they are doing great and loving school.  They are making friends, loving recess and "Wall Ball."  The girls both have music and they are learning to read music and soon Brinnley will start to play the recorder.  Brinnley is still in love with the snake.  Ainsley is loving the cool art projects they do.  Porter had a rough start, but things are better now and he is happy and making friends.  I prayed so hard that this would be an easy transition for them.  They have done so well with every aspect of this move and I am so grateful for that!  I have pretty amazing kids!

1 comment:

Katie Lynn Goudie said...

Love this. Thinking of sending Rose to school stresses me out! Ha! Glad it all went well!!! :)