
Over Labor Day weekend my mom, two sisters-in-law, and two of my nieces came to spend the weekend. We went to Swiss Days in Midway. And it was amazing! I am totally addicted and plan on going every year if I can. I saw a lot of things that inspired me and it started a spark in me to create. I have even been inspired to try new things with the girls' hair. I got this idea from a magazine. This was only my first attempt at a backwards braid, but I am getting better. I am learning the art of twists and french braids and combos in between. It helps that Brinnley has gotten over her "no ponytail" and "just pulls the sides back" phases. She actually lets me experiment and gets excited about new things. Yay!

So back to Swiss Days. I saw this thing that I fell absolutely in love with. It was a ball covered with rosettes. Gorgeous! Also selling for $150. Um no. But last week I had a friend come over and she showed me how to make rosettes. Since then I have been on a roll. My first few weren't so great, with hot glue showing all over. But I am getting better. I have a variety of sizes of styrofoam balls that I plan on covering in rosettes and hanging from the ceiling in my bedroom. I am so excited to see the finished product! And I have many more ideas circling in my mind for what I can do with these beauties.
It feels good to create things! It feels good to not limit myself. Often what holds me back from trying something is fear that it won't turn out. And the first few times it didn't, but I kept practicing and now I am liking what I am making. And even if they are imperfect, there is beauty in flaws too.
3 comments:
I LOVE the braid and the rosettes and I'm so glad you enjoyed Swiss Days! I think we are going to need another craft night soon for you to pass on your knowledge to me about the rosettes! :)
Those turned out so good Kara! Great job!
Cool. I hope you post pics of the final products. I had the same problem when I tried doing rosettes: glue showing! I guess I need more practice too.
Post a Comment