Friday, October 14, 2011

The Boys

Tonight I got a phone call from one of our missionaries from Missouri. It was awesome! I didn't realize how much I missed them. Chant was ward mission leader in Missouri for 18 months. We got to be very close with our missionaries. Chant talked to them every night to see how things were going. We celebrated birthdays, had suit burnings, and even met the family of one of our Elders when they came to pick him up at the end of the mission. They were lovingly dubbed as "The Boys." Having missionaries in our home was common and our girls sometimes ask about them. I still have a hard time remembering they have first names, even though they are all home now. Elder Martinsen's (above) birthday is the day before mine. He got a special dinner were we attempted to make one of his mom's favorite recipes. (One of the few times I cooked for the Elders. Most of the time they made us dinner. We asked what they wanted and we'd have all the ingredients and they would cook. It was awesome!)
We were lucky enough to get to celebrate Elder Goudie's birthday with him too. Goudie is married now to an amazing lady and they live not very far from us. We actually get to see them tomorrow while they snap pictures of our family.
I am ever so grateful for these wonderful missionaries who humored Chant during his monkey-fist-making phase. They even made one with a bowling ball as the core. Now that was something to watch! Crazies!
Hobbs and Goudie. Good times! Thanks for the call Hobbs, you made my day!
Tolman and Patty (Patterson). Tolman is married with twins and Patterson is a recent newlywed.

These are just a few of our favorites. Sorry Morrison and Burgoyne (totally slaughtered the spelling, sorry) your photos are buried in my archives.

I am so thankful for the friendships we made, the spiritual talks we shared, the spirit they brought into our home. You taught my family and me personally so much. Thank you for everything!

1 comment:

Suze said...

aw.. I remember the missionary days, as I call it. I'm grateful for all that they did for me and all they taught me, but I'm glad that's over.

Burgoyne- you got the spelling exactly right! He's home now- isn't that insane?