Today is my Grandma's birthday. She was born April 8, 1912. She died June 2001. I miss her. I have been thinking about her a lot lately. For April Fools Day the local news guy was showing how to make chocolate covered cotton balls. I started crying because just that morning I was telling Chant of the time when Mom and I were living with Grandma and she made me cotton-filled pancakes for April Fools. Chant thought that was so weird. Not so my dear husband!
My Grandma was an amazing person. I was born when she was 70 years old, so I don't have the same types of stories as my brothers or older cousins who told of times when she was active and chasing them and tying with a leash to trees to keep them in the yard. But I still have plenty of memories. She loved to quilt. There was hardly a time when the quilt frames were not set up in her living room. I used to lay on the floor underneath the canopy playing or watching tv. She made a quilt for every one of her grandchildren for when they got married. She started working on quilts when the grandchildren were born. When it was finished she would lovingly pack it away in the attic until it was time. Even though my Grandma passed two years before I married, I had a quilt waiting for me on my special day. And I cherish it!
I have probably written about this before at some time but I'm going to share it again. I worked in West Yellowstone, Montana every summer from the time I was 16 till I was 21. My first two summers I lived with Grandma. It was a special time for me. One of the things that stands out most is that every morning we had to watch Bob Barker on The Price is Right. I promised her when I turned 21 (the age limit to be a contestant on the show) I would take her to the show. She died when I was 19, so I was unable to keep my promise. I still can't watch that show without thinking of her and having tears come to my eyes. I so badly wish I could have taken that trip with her!
Since we have moved closer to family and have had many opportunities to open our home to others, I think of her and the example she set. Her home was open to all. I am sure a great number of my cousins have taken their turn living at her home for a summer or longer. It didn't matter the number of people, the more the merrier. Every Christmas all the extended family would flock to Grandma's for Family Christmas. Wall to wall people. Some of my favorite memories with my family happened during those times.
She was a hard worker. I had a few occasions to help her wash the laundry in the old metal tubs with the ringers. Dangerous job! My fingers got sucked in one time and it did not feel good! Even though she had an electric washer and dryer, she used her old wringer washer and a clothes line for as long as she was able.
I have felt her with me a few times since she has passed and she has brought me such comfort in my times of need. I am so thankful for this amazing woman and that I had a chance to know her. I love you Grandma and miss you! Happy Birthday!
4 comments:
Happy Birthday Molly!! I may not be a relative but I did live there the summer we were sixteen. I remember there always being a quilt up and how nice it was of her to let some strange friend of her granddaughter stay for the summer. I still have a letter she wrote me after I sent her a thank you for letting me stay. I also remember going there for Spring Break when we were younger and I was wearing my overalls with the strap down(so completely stylish). It drove her crazy and she kept trying to get me to fix them. There are times when I miss those days.
I did not know your grandma, but she sounds like a great lady. How lucky you are to have had a relationship with her! :)
What a great post and beautiful memories of your grandma! Just reading about the wedding day quilts she made brought me to tears - what a wonderful lady!
Love this. I miss my grandparents a lot too. It's one of those things that doesn't ever really go away. A little bit of Celestial homesickness I guess. :)
Post a Comment