Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rambling Thought on Faith

I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ. I know I have a loving Heavenly Father who hears and answers my prayers. I have faith that He will answer them, even though it may not be how I want or in the timetable I want. But, does having faith mean that I go through my day completely unconcerned about anything, just having faith that everything will be okay? Or can it still be considered faith if I have worries and fears about the future but I still wake up everyday and put one foot in front of the other on the path I know I should be on. Does faith mean having a complete absence of fear or can it mean having fears but putting them aside long enough to move forward instead of standing still or taking the easier path that is not the right path? I hope that in times when we are at our lowest Heavenly Father will accept the act of moving forward even though we are fearful enough of a display of faith. I know things will be okay in the end, sometimes it is just the unknown of what will happen on the journey to the pot of gold that is terrifying. So hopefully what I have to give is enough and the Savior will step in and give me a boost when it's not.

4 comments:

Suze said...

Kara, I think similar thoughts often, and my mind always comes back to 1 John 4:18- "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." I also take comfort in this scripture from Alma 32- "But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words."

I know that just our desire to believe- a desire to have faith- is enough for Him. I think that if we didn't worry about anything, we wouldn't be human. We can know things are going to be okay, but we also do our part in making them okay- that's why we consider, ponder, think about, and worry about things. If we didn't, we wouldn't be holding up our end and doing the work necessary to make it so.

To me, it's like that thing everyone says... if you're drowning and you pray for God to help you, you've still got to tread water to stay afloat. We both get to do our parts.

Now we're both rambling on about faith. :)

Amy said...

Thanks for your post. I thought to myself yesterday, "i don't know everything, but I have a lot of faith."

I forgot we share a bday! Yours was much better than mine! We were all sick with a stomach bug. Happy bday lovely lady!

Cam and Mary said...

Good questions! I think the same things sometimes. I've ultimately decided that I haven't given up yet, and I won't, so that's got to count for something, right?!

Shannon said...

What a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing...
(I've been pretty terrified about somethings in our future, and I've thought the same things. "I have faith, Heavenly Father, but I'm still scared!")

... I don't know if you remember me. YEARS back in the 51st BYU-I ward. I'm glad I spotted your blog on another 51st warder. You and your are family beautiful!