Saturday, December 25, 2010

Commencement

Commencement: the act or time of commencing; beginning; a start. I love this definition. Graduation is a start to a new life, the rest of life, the real world.

I flew back to St. Louis so I could be there for graduation and to celebrate all that Chant has accomplished. Friday, December 17 was the awards ceremony for graduates and their families to attend. Chant was given two awards. The first award we knew he would receive. It was the Health Center Achievement Award. Only one intern from each clinic gets that award, so it was quite an honor for him. The second we didn't know he was getting. When they called Kerry Williams, he just sat there for a minute and then he jumped and said, "That's me!" It was an award for excellence in the ability to perform and teach the Logan Basic Technique. That was only given to 4 people, so again an honor. I am so incredibly proud of him!
The day of graduation we got to the school early. (Chant had to be early and we had one car, so that meant we were all there early.) We were so early he was the only graduate there. Doesn't he look lonely?
Chant and his sister Kristy.
Chant and sister Jen. (Sorry Margi, I don't know why I don't have a picture of you!)

This graduation ceremony was amazing! It started by bagpipe players leading the way for the graduates. It sounded so amazing. I had chills! Chant gave us the insider tip and I am sitting right in front of the lead man. Awesome spot! The keynote speaker was Orin Hatch. He cracked a few Mormon jokes and gave a very nice speech.
After the speakers it was time for the graduates to be hooded.
Waling to the front to be hooded. The second girl is Teran Warner, our business partner.

They hold the hoods over their arms and then when they get to the president of the college, Dr. Goodman, he takes the hood and puts it on them. The hood is gray signifying chiropractic and inside is royal blue and white for Logan's colors.
Being hooded. (Me tearing up behind the camera.)

At the end of the ceremony, the bagpipe players formed two lines facing each other and the graduates walked between to exit the auditorium. Again, Chant and Teran walked right by me. Unfortunately my camera was being slow and I didn't get a picture of Chant. Sorry Honey!
Chant with Dr. Hogarth, the St. Peters Head Clinician.
Afterward we went to lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory with our group (Chant's mom, sisters, my sister and brother-in-law, and Teran's parents, grandparents, and siblings.) It was quite the group at 16 people. I am so glad we had time to stop and celebrate their achievements. Chant worked hard through 4 years of school, late nights, taking care of kids and a wife, and church callings. I never could have done it. I am so amazed at what he has accomplished and I am so proud of him! Thank you for working so hard for us! We love you! And we are ready for what is next!

2 comments:

Cam and Mary said...

Congrats to both of you! :)

Liana Brown said...

That is so exciting! Congrats!!