Monday, September 3, 2012

Pencils, Crayons, and Loaded Backpacks

 Monday, the 27th we had our back to school dinner and yearly theme reveal.  That evening I took the girls to get their hair cut, which turned out super cute, and then we came home for our pizza dinner, which the kids chose.  The theme we chose this year is "Be brave!  You can do hard things."  It felt fitting, for all of us.  And it applies to all areas of life, not just school.  We had a long talk about all the ways we can be brave in our lives and what being brave means.  I am so excited for them and the things ahead of them this year. 
 We all signed our names and promised to take every opportunity we can to be brave. 
Brinnley started 2nd grade on the 28th.  I let the girls choose their own outfits this year.  That is one of the few outfits during the year that I have normally chosen, but I let go and let them pick what they wanted. 
 I did talk Brinnley into letting me curl her hair, and it looked beautiful!

 The 28th Ainsley had an appointment to meet her teacher.  She was so excited!  Her teacher seems awesome.  Brinnley really liked her when she worked with her last year, so that made me feel better.  It's going to be an awesome year for this little lady. 
 She is so excited to be a 1st grader!  I was a little nervous about her being gone all day, but she came home smiling.  And then she crashed hard on the couch half an hour later.  All day is going to take some adjustments!
I babysat all day Tuesday and Wednesday, so the first two days of school Porter had someone to keep him company.  But Thursday and Friday it was just Porter and me.  At first I didn't know what we were going to do all day.  But it was really nice.  Thursday he and I laid out on a blanket in the backyard and he played on the I-Pad while I read a book for a while.  It was nice to just be together.  Then Friday we took a walk and a bike ride.  Surprisingly, he didn't ask to watch TV all day.  He played with toys, looked at books, helped me fold clothes.  And we even did some preschool stuff.  This is going to be okay!  We are all going to be okay! 

2 comments:

Randi and Adam said...

Crazy! they are getting so big! Mady has done the same thing as Ainsley. She only goes half a day but she is wiped out and has taken a nap almost every day afterwards! ha ha. Glad you and Porter are finding things to do. Noah is bored out of his mind. We've gone to the library and taken walks... but he misses her. Glad he starts pre-school next week! lol. I think he really needs it. Glad to see you guys are all adjusting well!

Sarah said...

Wow. You're girls are beautiful. What a fun new adventure for all of you. I hope it goes well and that you and Porter have fun. I love the theme idea too.